• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#1 ThinzarW

ThinzarW

Ramune

• AX Staff
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi everyone, sorry for the long wait. If you’re looking for the rules and guidelines for all your props & weapons, you’ve come to the right place! All prop weapons must be inspected and peace bonded (if approved). I know many of you have questions, but please READ BEFORE POSTING.

General Rules: http://www.anime-expo.org/information/
(Click on Policies, then Weapons Policy.)

ALL PROP WEAPONS must be submitted to Weapons Policy at any Peace Bonding station at Anime Expo. This thread is only meant to help you figure out if your prop would be approved.

Specifications:

Spoiler

FAQs (extended from website version):

Spoiler

If you did not find the answer to your question after you've read through all that, then feel free to ask away. I understand that a lot of props fall under grey areas, so I'm here to help shed some light and get you answers.

Guidelines to help me help you:

• Read through everything first. Most people can find their answers right away by doing this.
  • In your post, state your cosplay, prop, and materials your prop is made of.
  • If you have photos of the prop itself, please post them! The more details, the better.
  • Be specific! I can only give half-baked answers to half-baked questions.

AX 2014 Weapons Policy Manager

#2 ThinzarW

ThinzarW

Ramune

• AX Staff
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Responses to older posts:

I plan on Cosplaying as the Pyro from Team Fortress 2 in 2014, and I'm making his flamethrower which doesn't look like any real Flamethrower I've ever seen, but here's a link to the one I plan on making
aeronik. com/blog/803/projects/flamethrower-construction/      (the link has a space in between . and com so you can actually get the link I'm new so it wouldn't let me post it normally)

is this okay as it is? I don't plan on adding the warning stickers this one has so it won't look like an actual propane tank

I believe this should be fine. I take it (from looking through the pictures) that you are constructing what is to be the propane tank?

hi, i got a question i just want to make sure before i take it to the expo. i have this wwII luger prop weapon that i ordered the barrel is permanently affixed blaze orange plug and cannot be fired. i was wondering if it is ok to take it to the anime expo? 

Please read the specifications on guns.

I'm mainly worried about the use of wire rope (insulated with nylon, not bare metal) to hang the boxes to the belts/suspender harnesses.
Earlier there was something about choking people with a chain longer than 12". Wire rope technically isn't a chain but you could do the same thing (along with countless other things but I digress).
And if wire rope is not okay, how about bicycle brake lines (insulated with rubber)?
Then there's electrical wiring, which is also basically insulated metal with rubber, which is allowed. The only difference being the actual gauges/thickness of the said insulated metals.
I'm not sure where the line is drawn so I want to make sure.

Thanks for the response by the way.
Looking forward to AX2013!

This should be perfectly fine. As for your other question about the unlocking blades, I was the one that Krain asked last night. They'll be tricky to judge, so if you get your hands on the mechanisms themselves, do post them and let me take a look before you end up making the whole thing. It sounds like it would be fine, but until I see the final product or something more like it, I won't be able to give a proper answer. Also, using carabiners to hang boxes off your belt is fine.

Since the policy doesnt quite cover anything that has to do with robots or plastics, are programmed robots allowed at the convention? (I noticed every year there is one guy with a remote controlled R2-D2)

I was thinking of programming a small plastic motor for a robot, is that allowed? It will operate on some AA batteries, doesnt make any noise, and does not do anything but make 180 degree sweeping motions (the robot itself is probably only a foot tall and is stationary).

Sorry if I sort of asked this earlier in another form.

Robots are fine as long as they're not causing anybody any harm, or putting them at risk.

Hi, it will be my first time going to AX this year, so I want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules^^''
I'm planning to be cosplaying Hibari Kyoya from Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and so I made fake/replica tonfa out of extremely lightweight wooden dowels (they feel practically hollow) and then spray painted them silver. I'll attach a picture of them, but I was wondering if these are ok to have? Thanks!

263313_4827516366395_1558954163_n.jpg?oh

Fake tonfa should be fine. Bring them by one of the peace bonding tables and we can peace bond them for you. I was unable to load the picture, but make sure they have some sort of flared end or something so that the zip tie won't just fall off.

Edited by ThinzarW, 22 May 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#3 FallenNite

FallenNite

Wasabi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Is it okay to bring multiple prop weapons to be peace bonded? (For example, the character I am cosplaying as has a set of 3 different prop weapons, one being a claw, and the two others being futuristic guns)

#4 KevinT

KevinT

Rice Cracker

• AX Staff
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Is it okay to bring multiple prop weapons to be peace bonded? (For example, the character I am cosplaying as has a set of 3 different prop weapons, one being a claw, and the two others being futuristic guns)

Short answer: Yes. 

Long answer: Yesssssssss. jk, there is no set limit on how many props you can get peace bonded at once.

Edited by Krain, 22 May 2013 - 11:14 PM.

Posted Image

#5 FA1

FA1

Wasabi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

Responses to older posts: This should be perfectly fine. As for your other question about the unlocking blades, I was the one that Krain asked last night. They'll be tricky to judge, so if you get your hands on the mechanisms themselves, do post them and let me take a look before you end up making the whole thing. It sounds like it would be fine, but until I see the final product or something more like it, I won't be able to give a proper answer. Also, using carabiners to hang boxes off your belt is fine.

Here's a quick mock-up which should be more or less the same in function if I go through with it.

(Sorry for the incoming pictures, but I figure this is least tedious for you guys instead of clicking every image url and it's like e-peace bonding lol).

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

How it attaches/detaches:

IMG_2719.jpg

Small metal section. About the size of a dime and only 1/8" in thickness in each side. As you can see from previous pics, it's hidden in the handle. Also, nothing below the top of the PVC tee connector will be exposed--I'll put some filler detail on top to cover all that mess, like foam.

IMG_2722.jpg

And just making sure about the wire ropes, this is it:

IMG_2724.jpg

The u-bolts are perma-attached to the box, along with the rope. The only thing I can remove from the box/wire ropes is the carabiners. The wire rope is very tight when the boxes are mounted and are not dangling in any way. The wire rope is insulated with plastic. Are these alright? Do these fall under chains/less than 12" rule? One is 12.5" which I can trim if need be.

Sorry if I'm asking way too much. This is my first time cosplaying. Not familiar with con safety vibes and I don't wanna mess up and break any rules.

Edited by FA1, 23 May 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#6 ThinzarW

ThinzarW

Ramune

• AX Staff
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

@FallenNite: Precisely what Krain said. We've had people come loaded with prop weapons, sometimes in the double digits. As long as everything checks out, it's fine.

@FA1: It's perfectly fine to have so many questions. :) I'm glad you're asking them, rather than putting all the work into a prop just to find out at con that something isn't allowed, then raging at us.

I'm going to give the okay on your sword, because it seems that the metal is, in fact, only in the handle. (Is that a bike brake, btw?) As for the chain, to be on the safe side, I'd say trim it down about an inch.

Good luck on your cosplay and remember, all props still need to be inspected once they are at the convention.

#7 FA1

FA1

Wasabi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it. Now I feel more reassured working on it.
One last clarification on the sword though (hopefully): by okay, is it peace bonded like a regular non metal sword (I.e. I can take it out for pictures) or does it have to be perma-sheathed/zip-tied to sheath like a metal bladed sword?

And yeah, that's a bike brake. But it's not just a regular brake, it's a Shimano brake. Gotta take Titans out in brand name style lol.

Edited by FA1, 23 May 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#8 ThinzarW

ThinzarW

Ramune

• AX Staff
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

Because the blade is not metal, it will be peace bonded like a non-metal sword so that you may take it out for photo ops.  :)

And haha, very nice. I knew I recognized the brand name, even though I don't know my bikes too well.

#9 elementprincess1

elementprincess1

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

As far as signs go, does that include character-specific signs? I hoped to carry around an "Objection!" sign from Phoenix Wright. 

#10 jnova

jnova

Miso Soup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Wood weapons are not allowed @ the con right?

#11 KimY

KimY

Kami-sama

• AX Staff Moderator*
  • 18981 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

As far as signs go, does that include character-specific signs? I hoped to carry around an "Objection!" sign from Phoenix Wright. 

Unfortunately, the Anime Expo ban on signs includes all types of signs

(This mainly happened because underaged teenagers and/or kids were holding up signs saying "Yaoi for $1" or "Free Kisses," which, in the eyes of the law, is considered solicitation, sexual harassment, and prostitution.  To protect everyone's safety, a ban on all signs was implemented.)

As a reminder (from the first post):

7. Signs:

Signs with words (English, foreign, or otherwise) are banned including, but not limited to solicitations (i.e. "Yaoi for $$$") or other general signs (i.e. "Rawr means I love you in dinosaur")

BishieClaim--DarkandKrad.gif

#12 KevinT

KevinT

Rice Cracker

• AX Staff
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

As long as it's not a paddle, it should be fine as long as it falls under the guidelines.

Posted Image

#13 ThinzarW

ThinzarW

Ramune

• AX Staff
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

elementprincess1: KimY was spot-on with her answer to your question.

It depends on the prop itself. Wooden martial arts weapons or practice weapons are not allowed (such as bo-ken swords or staffs), and neither are paddles. Swords with a thin wooden blade are fine, and same with lightweight, dowel-like homemade staffs. Wooden guns are fine, provided they still follow the rest of the gun rules. If you have something specific you want clarification on, let me know.

#14 Calamity760

Calamity760

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Unfortunately, the Anime Expo ban on signs includes all types of signs

(This mainly happened because underaged teenagers and/or kids were holding up signs saying "Yaoi for $1" or "Free Kisses," which, in the eyes of the law, is considered solicitation, sexual harassment, and prostitution.  To protect everyone's safety, a ban on all signs was implemented.)

As a reminder (from the first post):

7. Signs:

Signs with words (English, foreign, or otherwise) are banned including, but not limited to solicitations (i.e. "Yaoi for $$$") or other general signs (i.e. "Rawr means I love you in dinosaur")

Damn, and I was just making a "Do Not Enter" Sign for my Shizuo Heiwajima cosplay, but without the words  :( .

Edit: So Regular Street Signs with no words on are not allowed? Just wanted to make sure. Cause the one I was making was made out of PVC pipe and Foamboard.

Edited by Calamity760, 27 May 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#15 Dreamer

Dreamer

Shabu Shabu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Street signs in general are not allowed and will be asked that you put it back in your car/hotel room.

forumsignature-AX_zps9ee2816b.jpg
"Follow the people -- they will always take you to where you need to go."

#16 Calamity760

Calamity760

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Street signs in general are not allowed and will be asked that you put it back in your car/hotel room.

Alright. Thank you for the update  :)

#17 Dreamer

Dreamer

Shabu Shabu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yep. :)

forumsignature-AX_zps9ee2816b.jpg
"Follow the people -- they will always take you to where you need to go."

#18 NovaDarkWolf

NovaDarkWolf

Initiate

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

i had a question. im going for a post apocalyptic look. would a replica rifle be fine. its sealed off completely. i had the idea from my highschools jrotc since i could not use a pellet gun even if i have it sealed with a CBI (clear barrel indicator) and plugs to be extra sure if i am correct? and swords would need to be dulled down as much as possible right? 618ixJjycJL._SL1500_.jpg

#19 KevinT

KevinT

Rice Cracker

• AX Staff
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

i had a question. im going for a post apocalyptic look. would a replica rifle be fine. its sealed off completely. i had the idea from my highschools jrotc since i could not use a pellet gun even if i have it sealed with a CBI (clear barrel indicator) and plugs to be extra sure if i am correct? and swords would need to be dulled down as much as possible right? 618ixJjycJL._SL1500_.jpg

Based on the image:

Is the replica rifle functional (shooting anything at all), or use to be functional but was modded not to be?

Are there any metal parts?

If the answer is yes to one or both of those, the prop isn't allowed on convention grounds.

As for the swords, if it's sharp enough to open a letter, it's too sharp for AX.  You can only carry a  dull non-metal sword out in the open, and a dull metal sword bound into it's sheath (unable to be remove from sheath when tied with a ziptie).

Edited by Krain, 27 May 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Posted Image

#20 NovaDarkWolf

NovaDarkWolf

Initiate

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Based on the image:

Is the replica rifle functional (shooting anything at all), or use to be functional but was modded not to be?

Are there any metal parts?

If the answer is yes to one or both of those, the prop isn't allowed on convention grounds.

As for the swords, if it's sharp enough to open a letter, it's too sharp for AX.  You can only carry a  dull non-metal sword out in the open, and a dull metal sword bound into it's sheath (unable to be remove from sheath when tied with a ziptie).

the replica is not able to fire. nor was it modified to not fire. it is just a weight modeled after a rifle for drill meets in rotc programs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users