• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Scratchman

Scratchman

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Due to the staggering amount of individuals who attended the Main Anime Expo 2012 Homestuck Gathering I will be using this thread to update everyone on how this years gathering(s) will happen.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that the reason I'm doing so is to better prepare myself and any other potential Gathering Organizers for this years Anime Expo. AX 2012's Homestuck Gathering was extraordinarily massive in scale and some of what myself and the other Gathering runners wanted to do did not happen purely due to a lack of communication. Nobody is or was at fault, it was a simple case of different people wanting different things.

This year I'd like us to be more prepared and so I'm creating this thread a near 4 months in advance to accomplish that goal.

Also, the reason I'm making this post is due to my experience with leading gatherings, particularly Homestuck gatherings. My credentials can be found here (will update when MSPAforums are back up)

What I would like to see:

As opposed to one main gathering, I would like for there to be 2 main gatherings. One on Friday at 4:00p.m. and one on Saturday at or near 4:00p.m. The early times will better help in avoiding clashing times with the Masquerade or any other large panels/events that AX will be hosting. Couple that with the fact that everyone will have a choice in which gathering to attend and we'll hopefully see smaller crowds and more time for everyone to have their cosplays be seen.

Regarding placement, the stairs just outside the west hall (not be confused with the stairs near Pico) have become the staple area for large-scale gatherings, specifically Homestuck. I'd like to see both Gatherings being held here since stairs being how they are will allow for better photography and ample movement and placement of persons not having their photo taken. Other possible gathering locations that will provide ample space for our projected gathering size (around 400-500 per main gathering) will be observed and greatly considered, but for now you should take the stairs outside West hall to be the Number 1 spot.

I would also like to see coordination between both Homestuck Panel Organizers and Homestuck Gathering organizers. While it would be nice to see a Homestuck panel being held a 4 o'clock and a Gathering being held at 4 o'clock, in the end people would have to make a choice regarding which they would like to visit more and nobody likes that. This is not me trying to be a bully, this is me trying to better organize both parties so that everyone can have the best experience. That said, I would recommend that any potential Homestuck Panel Organizers set their panels times to be held at Midday (12-2:00 p.m. area) or dusk (6-7 p.m. area). The best dates for you to aim for would be Thursday (dusk), Friday (midday/dusk), and Sunday (midday). I've omitted Saturday simply because many of the Conventions main events fall on this day and it would be best to avoid further cluttering it. If you absolutely have to have your Panel on Saturday I would recommend Midday to see the best attendance. Again, this isn't me trying to bully panelists, this is me sticking to the tried and true method that I've seen happen regarding Homestuck Panels vs. Gatherings at the 15+ conventions I've attended in the last 2 and a half years.

A set area for Homestuck Cosplayers in general would be nice, though we tend to set one up ourselves. What I mean is a lounge area that close to all Homestuck cosplayers would be aware of throughout the convention weekend. One area that seems to be a go to for everyone is the triangular space in Concourse Hall that precedes the West Hall.

To summarize:

CONFIRMED Dates and place:

3:00 or 5:00 p.m. (Check back for set in stone time) Friday at the stairs outside West Hall

4:00 p.m. Saturday at the stairs outside West Hall

Other noteworthy Homestuck events

Improvstuck&&Games Gathering at West Hall stairs from 1-3 p.m. on Friday

Expected size of each gathering:

400-500 per gathering, give or take

Expected Photography Opportunities:

Kids

Beta Kids (John, Jade, Dave, Rose (Dreamers, Godtiers, Tricksters, AU's))

Alpha Kids (Jake, Jane, Dirk, Roxy (Dreamers, Godtiers, Tricksters, AU's))

Other Characters

Guardians

-Mom, Dad, Becquerel, Grandpa Harley, Bro, Nanna, Grandma English, Poppop, Mom Rose, Bro Dave, Sprites, Lil' Cal, Andrew Hussie, Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff

Carapaces

-Prospitians, Dersites, Exiles, Planet Cosplays, Denizens, Bec Noir, Bec Peregrine Medicant (BPM)

Cherubs

- Caliborn, Calliope, Lord English

Midnight Crew/The Felt

-Midnight Crew

-The Felt

Trolls

Beta Trolls + Ancestors + Alpha Trolls by Signs

-Cancer, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Leo, Virgo Group shot (All characters and variations thereof with mentioned Symbol) 

-Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pieces Group shot (All characters and variations thereof with mentioned Symbol)

-Cancer Troll group shot

-Aries Troll group shot
-Taurus Troll group shot

-Gemini Troll group shot

-Leo Troll group shot

-Virgo Troll group shot

-Libra Troll group shot

-Scorpio Troll group shot

-Sagittarius Troll group shot

-Capricorn Troll group shot

-Aquarius Troll group shot

-Pieces Troll group shot

Notes: When your character is called up, you are up for your shot. Doesn't matter if you're cosplaying Dave trapped in a giant glass jar, when we call up your character that is your time for a photo

Note: Expect group shoots for all of them, if the gatherings prove to be small enough to accommodate single shots or any variation thereof we will adjust the schedule accordingly.

Note 2: Expect a more complete list of Characters in the near future, what is posted is simply an outline.

Note 3: Expect this post to be updated regarding Homestuck Panel times.

Note 4: A thread concerning an Anime Expo Homestuck Gathering has been posted on cosplay.com. I have already messaged this person in order to touch base and further better communication between gathering organizers.

Note 5: I will be doing everything I can to touch base with Anime Expo staff in order to give them an idea of what our plans are and to also set our time slots into the main gathering lists. Rest assured, the convention staff will be expecting us

Until an Official Gathering Map has been provided, I have thrown together a map that explains where the gathering will hopefully be

TruckDockMap.gif

Black Circle = Main Gathering Area (Stairs outside West hall)

Blue Circle = Back up Gathering Area (Stairs near Pico Blvd)
Red Circle = Possible Lounge areas

**IMPORTANT**

I've been hearing questions concerning whether either gathering should be perceived as the Main gathering over another. Please note that NEITHER gathering has been set as the main gathering, the purpose for 2 gatherings is as follows:

1) Provide flexibility in scheduling for attendees so that they may choose to attend a panel or do something else during the listed gathering times.

2) Theoretically split the attendance between both gatherings evenly and avoid having a repeat of 2012 where the one gathering was attended by something close to 800 total attendee's

3) This last one is optional, but with there being split gatherings this should also allow for more cosplayers to have a standalone presence within photographs, meaning that as opposed to there being 15 God Tier Johns, there should be roughly 7-8 per gathering (these number do not reflect expected turnout numbers, rest assured there will most likely be more)

To summarize, neither gathering should be considered the main gathering. Both gatherings will operate similarly to one another with regard to pictures and content and YOU have the choice to attend either one or both!

If anyone has any Questions, Comments or Concerns or if you would like to post about a Panel or mini-gathering you would like to organize please do so in this thread.

If you would like to post about your attendance, please do so as well! I will do my best to keep this thread updated in my day to day with who all is attending.

Thank you

Scratchman

Edited by Scratchman, 06 June 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#2 yumix17

yumix17

Initiate

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

and do u think it would be more appropriate if the gathering was earlier in the day because about 4:00 p.m is when all the make up on the trolls starts to come off ^^; ? And are we also going to do pairings for the photography? oh, and for the gathering I'm going as Muelin and my mom is going as the disciple.

Edited by yumix17, 12 April 2013 - 10:42 AM.
Merged double post (two posts in a row made by the same person). Please use the "Edit" button to add comments to your last post. Thank you!

#3 SyrenAbyssi

SyrenAbyssi

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

I hope we do pairings! I'm going to me Mituna~!  my friend is going as Horuss/Equius, and my sister is going as lil' Cal

#4 yumix17

yumix17

Initiate

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I hope we do pairings! I'm going to me Mituna~!  my friend is going as Horuss/Equius, and my sister is going as lil' Cal

oh my cod that's so awesome ^^ im going as meulin and gamzee(in a maids dress) and my mom is going as the disciple but we don't have a nepeta :/ but it would be so cute to see a lil cal cosplay and is your friend doing the original horuss outfit or the one were he's in a house onessy? oh! and are you going to have mituna's skate board ? sorry for so many  questions ^^;

#5 SyrenAbyssi

SyrenAbyssi

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

oh my cod that's so awesome ^^ im going as meulin and gamzee(in a maids dress) and my mom is going as the disciple but we don't have a nepeta :/ but it would be so cute to see a lil cal cosplay and is your friend doing the original horuss outfit or the one were he's in a house onessy? oh! and are you going to have mituna's skate board ? sorry for so many  questions ^^;

sorry for replying late, been busy with school.  my friend is dong original Cosplay, and I hope to get a skateboard, as I have lost mine :U.  That is so cute how you and your mom are going to cosplay meulin and disciple.  the little cal was almost going to be nepeta, but thought the coat was going to be too hot :(

#6 Scratchman

Scratchman

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

and do u think it would be more appropriate if the gathering was earlier in the day because about 4:00 p.m is when all the make up on the trolls starts to come off ^^; ? And are we also going to do pairings for the photography? oh, and for the gathering I'm going as Muelin and my mom is going as the disciple.

So far the organizer on the Cosplay.com thread is planning on having a pairing shoot following her main gathering.

Will my gathering have a pairing shoot? That will depend on how many people actually show up, but I'll say for now that you can expect me to do a pairing shoot following the gathering.

I'll say here right now, if there are any specific pairings you guys would like to SEE post em up here and I will make note of them.

Thus far there are no updates or additions that have to be made to the original post. I've gotten into contact with the organizer over on cos.com and were hashing out details for what time she wants to set her meet for.

Stay tuned for official time postings and other new info!

Edited by Scratchman, 14 May 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#7 SyrenAbyssi

SyrenAbyssi

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I thought it was easier to just list everything I can think of....
Kids:
JohnxRose
JohnxDave
DavexJade
stridercest

dirkxjake

DirkxJane

DirkxRoxy

JakexJane

Trolls:
AradiaxSollux
AradiaxEquius
TavrosxGamzee

nepetaxGamzee

EquiusxGamzee
SolluxxFeferi
SolluxxKarkat
SolluxxEridan
KarkatxNepeta
KarkatxTerezi
KarkatxGamzee
KanayaxVriska
TerezixVriska
EridanxFeferi
MindfangxDualscar
MindfangxRedglare

PsiionicxSignless

signlessxDiciple

DamaraxHoruss

kankrixMewlin

kankrixPorrim

CronusxMituna

RufioxDamara

RufioxHoruss

MitunaxLatula

MeenahxAranea

KurlozxMewlin

KurlozxMituna

HorussxMewlin

DamaraxMeenah

KarkatxMeenah

Kids+Trolls:

JohnxKarkat
JohnxVriska
RosexKanaya
DavexTerezi
JadexKarkat

CalliopexRoxy

DavexAradia

DavexGamzee

GamzeexJane

DavexKarkat

JakexAranea

other:

JadespritexDavesprite

momxdad

KarkatxSpadesSlick

SpadesSlickxMs.Paint

dirkxCal

davexCal

GamzeexCal

BroxDad

BroxMom

WVxPM

HussiexRufio

more coming soon

and if  you need help I may be able to provide assistance (Saturday only).

Edited by SyrenAbyssi, 19 May 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#8 kimchipr0

kimchipr0

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

so glad we're doing ships *spazz* WHY CANT AX BE SOONERRRRR MY KOKORO IS BROKORO

#9 Olivine

Olivine

Initiate

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

I won't be cosplaying from Homestuck, but I might swing by to take some photos~

#10 ClutchTheMagnum

ClutchTheMagnum

Initiate

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Salutations! A group and I will be having a Improvstuck and games Gathering around the same area from 1:30 to 3:00PM at latest, if any of you love games, homestuck or would just like to kill some time please feel free to join us! 

#11 Scratchman

Scratchman

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Post has been Updated with confirmed times as off the list on the Cos.com forums here along with a confirmed listing of Photo groups

Syren: Thank you for the list. To re-clairfy, a Shipping photoshoot will follow the saturday shoot, but it will last no longer than 15 minutes with 15 seconds per pose. Your list will be very helpful in nailing what ships to hit during this timeframe :)

Clutch: What day is your event taking place so that I can list it in the main post

#12 ClutchTheMagnum

ClutchTheMagnum

Initiate

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Our event is on Day 2 which is Friday. 

#13 Scratchman

Scratchman

Initiate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Awesome, danke :)

#14 kchan13

kchan13

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Happy to see this thread
Hi...I'm new to the homestuck fandom...(just started reading it last week and I'm on Act 5 *Without skipping!*) so I hope to see you guys at the gathering

I'm working on a Mituna cosplay right now (helmet and all)

so again, hope to see a lot of you guys there (knows there'll be a lot of people)

#15 gumomegpoid

gumomegpoid

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I might be there as capricorn/Gamzee and have my faygo. :3

#16 gumomegpoid

gumomegpoid

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

I might be there as capricorn/Gamzee and have my faygo. :3

#17 yumix17

yumix17

Initiate

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

sorry for replying late, been busy with school.  my friend is dong original Cosplay, and I hope to get a skateboard, as I have lost mine :U.  That is so cute how you and your mom are going to cosplay meulin and disciple.  the little cal was almost going to be nepeta, but thought the coat was going to be too hot :(

yeah I understand that, we don't want our cosplayers to get heat stroke ^^;

#18 6la66eriingMiindH9ney

6la66eriingMiindH9ney

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

My sister and I are going to both!! I will be going as Sollux on the Friday with my sister as Gamzee, and on the Saturday, I will be Kankri, with my sister as Kurloz! On Thursday, we are being dead!Sollux and dead!Dirk, along with us being the Striders on Sunday. XD

Edited by 6la66eriingMiindH9ney, 18 June 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#19 Zahhak

Zahhak

Initiate

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have a four day pass, but will only be cosplaying as God Tier Equius on Saturday... What were some ideas on games and the like that you had in mind, Scratch? By the way, you did a really fantastic job coordinating everyone last year ^u^ I was really surprised that the stairs held only three-quarters of us.

Edited by Zahhak, 18 June 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#20 jadebotany

jadebotany

Initiate

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

any chance there could be a shot for miscellaneous characters? I'm gonna cosplay a character from a popular fanventure and I'd like to recognized too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)